“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.” John 10:27-30 KJV
All Believers should memorize John 10:27-30. These verses of scriptures assure Believers of communion with Jesus, eternal life, and that no one can separate us from God accept ourselves; and that Jesus and God are one!
Today I want to focus on “knowing God’s voice” because people often ask me two questions, “how do you know God exists; and if God speaks to people how do you know his voice?” I usually answer “that’s a difficult question to answer because you have to experience God for yourself and your spirit man reveals the truth.” Knowing people need a definitive answer for these questions, I asked the Lord! He replied to me with “how does a new born baby know their parents voice?” I pondered that question for a few minutes, wondering “how do they?”
Father God said, just like babies are created to instinctively know his mother and father’s voice and smell, a child of God will instinctively know His voice. All of creation have been created to inherently know God exists. It is our individual responsibility to seek Him for ourselves. Most often though God is seeking us and we choose to ignore His still small voice.
Before the fall we were created to be in relationship and communion with Father God. The Bible tells us that Adam and Eve had fellowship with God. He talked audibly with them and they heard His voice. Abraham knew God’s voice and talked with Him; Noah knew God’s voice and talked with Him; the prophets and apostles all knew God’s voice and talked with God. All of these individuals knew God’s voice and obeyed His directives.
Believers of today can hear and talk with Father through their spirit, through His Word, and through His messengers. God is still speaking, the question is “are we listening?” God is REAL! He sees all we do and hears all we say! God is listening, watching and waiting for us to respond! One of my favorite verse of scripture is found in Jeremiah 33:3 “Call unto Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you know not.” I actually have this scripture displayed on the wall in my home as a reminder that Father God is an active God wanting to participate in our lives.
How Can We Hear God’s Voice?
- God speaks to us through our spirit. God is a Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). When we feel that unction in our spirit of conviction of wrong doing, that’s not our conscience, rather Holy Spirit warning us to turn from that wrong doing. We may have an unction in our spirit to make changes in our business or ministry that others may not understand, that is Holy Spirit prompting us with His voice. Several years ago my husband and I were renting office space for our ministry. After 3 years of being there, I felt a strong tugging in my spirit to not renew the lease, and a strong spirit of urgency to move out of the building quickly. I knew this was of God, but now I had to convince my husband of this. When sharing with my husband what Father God had spoken to me, he said “If you believe this is of God, then we need to be obedient. We contacted the owner of the building and told them we were not renewing the lease and wanted to vacant as soon as possible. Three weeks after moving out and putting all we owned in storage, we had a major rain storm. The office space we had rented suffered massive damage with the roof caving in the rooms we held our workshops. If we hadn’t listened to the voice of God, we could have been harmed and lost all that God had blessed the ministry with.
- Knowing God’s Voice. As a new Believer or veteran Believer we need to step out in faith when we hear God’s still small voice. God will start small with us, such as prompt us to call someone or to pray for someone. When instructed by Father God to do something and you are not certain of His voice or feel uncomfortable, ask a seasoned Believer for advice. The more we listen and are obedient, the less hesitant we become with future promptings of God’s still small voice.
- God speaks to us when studying His Word. Hebrews 4:12 states that the Word of God is alive and active. Have you ever had a time when reading the Word, that a word or phrase seemed to illuminate off the pages to you giving you more clarity or revelation? That,s Father God speaking through His Word.
- God speaks through His messengers. It can be a preacher delivering a message that confirms God’s Word to us for help in our decision-making, or for comfort during times of hardship. Or, Holy Spirit will use a Christian friend with a message of love, hope or comfort to confirm He is speaking to you.
- God speaks to us during our quiet time. I love it when Father God awakes me in the middle of the night to commune with me. During those times, Father usually gives me passages of scriptures for others or a message for them. He may ask me to pray for someone. He communicates His wisdom to me when I am going through trying situations (I keep a notebook by my bed to write the messages down). Holy Spirit also downloads blog posts to me to blog, or gives me a list of themes to research for blogging. So I don’t rush to post every day, I wait on Father for His inspiration and directions then I write and post.
- Peace. God’s peace will rule in our spirit when He speaks to us. God’s peace gives us confirmation about whatever we are seeking His wisdom for; but when we have confusion in our mind and our spirit is troubled this is not of God.
What Keeps Us From Hearing God’s Voice?
- Distractions. Become aware of distractions that keep you from hearing God’s voice and eliminate them from your life. In 1 Kings 19:11-13 God tells Elijah He is not in the wind; He is not in the earthquake; He is not in the fire – He is the still small voice. Elijah had the distraction of Jezebel, which was his fear! What is your distraction?
- Sin. Sin in our lives separates us from God. Repent of sin and wrong doings immediately. Don’t allow your spirit to become clogged with sin. Unrepentant sin is like cancer ravishing through one’s body. Destroy that root of cancer immediately!
Jesus promises peace to His sheep, which comes in knowing God (His ways) and being in communion with Him (in our spirit). Being in communion with God, in our spirit, gives us security and assurances that the world could never offer. This world which is influenced by satan, can only offer chaos, lies and deception. Father God offers peace, truth and security.
That’s why those who know Jesus should feel compelled to tell everyone about the peace and security offered and freely given only by Father God to those who believe. Time is short, so don’t delay! Tell everyone you know! Spread the Good News of the Gospel! GOD IS REAL, LIVING IN HEAVEN WATCHING OVER THE AFFAIRS OF MEN, WAITING FOR US TO INVITE HIM INTO OUR LIVES! AND WAITING TO COMMUNE WITH US! GOD SPEAKS TO HIS CREATION!
If you don’t know God as your Savior, invite Him into your heart today. If you know Him take time to learn God’s still small voice, allowing God’s peace and the security of His wisdom guide you on your daily journey. He loves you very much!
Checkout our YouTube Channel and Watch “GeorgettaHead” on YouTube
Youtube Channel “GEORGETTA HEAD” and hit the SUBSCRIBE button.
Like our Facebook Group: Journey In His Word