Mary made it to cousin Elisabeth’s home well before dark. She couldn’t wait to talk with Elisabeth, she wanted so desperately to share with Elisabeth her news and to congratulate her about the miracle child she was carrying.
I wonder if cousin Elisabeth will recognize me, it’s had been several years since she last saw me, thought Mary. As Mary approached the open doorway, she peeked in and saw Elisabeth standing at the table. She called out to Elisabeth as to not startle her. The most amazing thing happened when Mary called out to Elisabeth. Elisabeth, filled with the Holy Ghost, greeted Mary with “blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to be? For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord” (Luke 1:41:45). These prophetic words could only come from Holy Spirit. Remember, Gabriel spoke with Mary only about the coming birth of Jesus, so for Elisabeth to acknowledge Mary as mother of Her Lord was revealed to her by Holy Spirit. Notice also that Elisabeth makes mention of Mary also being blessed for believing in the “performance” (actual occurrence) of what was spoken by Gabriel from God.
Mary also filled with the Holy Ghost replies to Elisabeth’s greeting with the following prophetic words: “And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own house” (Luke 1:46-56).
Mary speaks with humility the honor it is to be chosen by God and of blessings for future generations because of the child of God she is carrying. She sees herself of “low estate” and being blessed of God to be chosen “to do a great thing” for Him. It is of God’s wisdom to choose the “weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty….that no flesh should glory in His presence” (1 Corinthians 1:27)
From both Elisabeth’s and Mary’s prophetic messages we can learn much about this being a season of hope.
Elisabeth speaking by the Spirit we learn:
1. Holy Spirit is the one who gives us fore-knowledge of God’s intent and plans or actual happenings.
2. Babies have awareness even in the womb. Elisabeth’s baby (John the Baptist) filled with Holy Spirit became excited in the womb at the hearing of Mary’s voice.
Mary speaking by the Spirit we learn:
1. God delights in exalting those of low estate.
2. It is God that puts down those that are mighty in their own minds.
3. God will confuse those that are proud in the imaginations of their heart and lift up those of a humble spirit.
4. God will feed those who are hungry in the heart for the “good news” with riches, while those that are rich with this worlds possessions, in their heart, he will turn away.
5. God will remember Israel with His mercy. Those who believe God has forsaken Israel, are mistaken, for God never forgets His promises. He will remember the Jewish nation and have a light for the Gentiles as He promised Abraham. The light – JESUS Christ our HOPE!
What are you hoping for in this “season of HOPE?” Whatever it is, start by becoming “hungry in your heart for the Good News of the Gospel!” Study the Word to learn of God and His plans for this world! The Word holds the answers for every problem we encounter now and until eternity.
Do you have questions about the Bible? Submit your questions here.
Watch “Georgetta Head” on YouTube
Youtube Channel “GEORGETTA HEAD” and hit the SUBSCRIBE button.
Like our Facebook Group: Journey In His Word and Join Our Group